Six exercises for improving running:
Squats – 30 repetitions
- Feet hip-width apart
- Feet facing forwards
- Toes relaxed throughout the whole of the exercise (toes can claw or dig into the ground at times, typically without the person knowing so keep your eye out for this one)
- Knees stay in alignment with toes (no knock knees)
- Hips stay level throughout
Split squats (that’s what I call it) or also known as the Bulgarian squat – 30 repetitions on both legs
- Back leg resting on a raised surface
- Front foot facing forwards
- Toes relaxed
- As you lower, the front knee stays over the foot
Hip raises – 30 repetitions
- Lying on a flat surface with no pillow/towel support (as this can increase the stress felt on the neck)
- Feet hip-width apart
- Lift hips up to the ceiling and then return to the start position
- Knees stay steady throughout (imagine you’ve got a drink resting on the knees which you don’t want to spill)
Single leg bridge – 30 repetitions on both legs
- As with the hip raises but using just one leg
Side plank with clam – 30 repetitions on both legs
|Side plank position|
|Side plank while also performing the clam|
|The clam (without side-plank)|
- Lay on the ground with your body in a straight line, knees bent, and feet in line with the body
- Leaning on your elbow, lift your body up so you’re resting on the lower half of your leg and your elbow
- Keeping the feet together, raise your top knee up and then return to the start position (opening up like a clam)
- Throughout the clam movement, keep your hips still
- Throughout the exercise keep your chin tucked in
Crab walking with a theraband – 4m for one repetition, 10 repetitions in total
|Theraband around ankles (harder)|
- Keeping feet and knees together, tie the theraband around your legs either just above the knee or down around the ankles
- Move your legs so that they’re hip-width apart
- Bend your knees and keep them bent throughout the whole exercise
- Keep your knees over your toes at all times
- Sidestep to the right and left – keeping the knees bent and knees over the toes
Try one or all of these strength exercises for improving running. You’ll need to keep going for at least six-weeks, if not longer, to see a difference.
Watch our videos on YouTube and treat them as a resource for different exercise suggestions. Don’t forget to Like and Subscribe!
Trying out different exercises is key to improving and maintaining the body’s flexibility, which in turn can help with recruiting muscles efficiently.
If you’ve got any questions on the above, then please let us know (click for contact details).
Remember – Listen to Your Body!
Please remember to listen to your body. Get any aches and pains checked out sooner rather than later.
As with all information given for exercises and exercise programs, when using our exercise videos or information, please use your common sense and don’t do anything that will hurt you. By performing any fitness exercises, you are performing them at your own risk. PhysioFit Health will not be responsible or liable for any injury or harm you sustain as a result of information shared on our website or YouTube channel. This includes emails, videos, and text. Thanks for your understanding.